Sunday, May 20

Four Days

I am leaving for Ivankiv in four days. I don't think it's completely real to me yet- I mean, yes- I know I'm going, but I don't think the shock of actually being gone from my home for ten weeks, the longest I've ever gone without seeing my family, has really hit me. I had a going away party and I had a great time, I love seeing my friends, even if it is to say a bittersweet goodbye.

I am leaving for Ivankiv in four days. I've finally started to pack. I set out all my clothing, making sure that nothing needed to be washed or mended. I picked out shoes and put a few pairs of earrings in a mint tin. I've gathered my swimsuit, noted to myself to buy batteries for my camera, and realized that my travel blow drier is missing.

I am leaving for Ivankiv in four days. I'm trying to teach myself Russian, it's not going so well. As if learning a new language wasn't enough, Russian has a completely different alphabet, and no matter what I do, I know that everything I learn will leave me as soon as I step off the plane. I remember now that I need to go to the bookstore and buy a phrasebook.

I am leaving for Ivankiv in four days. I think about my flight, and how long it will be. I've never been in a plane for more than a few hours, and I most definitely have never flown over an ocean. It will be interesting- I don't think I'm anxious about it, but then again, we will find out the truth when I look out a window and see a vast expanse of water. I've refused to watch Castaway for this very reason- also on the list of movies I refuse to watch right now: Snakes on a Plane, Red Eye, and Flightplan.

I am leaving for Ivankiv in four days. I am so grateful to everyone who has made this possible. I know I wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing right now if it were not for the generosity of other people. I wouldn't be packing, I wouldn't be learning Russian, I wouldn't be boarding a plane if it were not for other people. I could never have done this on my own. I am so blessed by God and the people in his kingdom that I get to do amazing work this summer.